Hello everyone, I hope you’re enjoying the beautiful late summer! Especially here in London, we’ve been blessed with two incredibly warm days.
But a few days ago, the weather was nothing like it. It was gloomy, crisp and breezy.
I’ve already burnt a few candles, made lots of late afternoon cuppas and took out my blanket.
Autumn is undeniably coming and so it’s time to prepare for it – including in the kitchen!
I am super excited about cooking seasonal dishes, lots and lots of soups, stews and other comfort food!
And this recipe exactly fits into this category: it’s seasonal, comforting, delicious & also easy! Don’t be put off by the cooking time, most of it is roasting in the oven.
This creamy chicken smells so beautifully, it will be a highlight of any dinner party, and will definitely fix your mood in chilly autumn weather – it so lifted up ours!
As you can see below and also on the photograph, I am using chicken thighs and drumsticks, however either of these will work in the recipe.
To make the sauce lighter, I use low fat single cream, but you can swap it according to your own taste and liking.
Also, the mushrooms I cook from are chestnut mushrooms, but white button mushrooms will work here too. And if you have a handful of wild or porcini mushrooms, these will make the dish even better!
Now, let’s get started!
Roast chicken with mushrooms in creamy sauce
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 1,200g chicken thighs and drumsticks (or chicken legs), bones in and skin on
- 250g fresh chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup low fat single cream
- 1tsp dried or fresh tarragon
- salt, black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan.
- Wash and slice the mushrooms. Peel and roughly chop the onion and set both aside.
- Divide the mushrooms and onion mix into three parts and put one of them on the bottom of a casserole or other oven-proof dish.
- Boil 500ml of water in a kettle.
- Check the chicken parts and carefully cut off any excessive skin. Season the chicken from all sides with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken on top of the layer of mushrooms and onion, and sprinkle it with the remaining mix of mushrooms and onion.
- Using the flat side of a knife, lightly crush the garlic cloves and add them to the dish.
- Pour over some of the boiling water, up to about 1 cm high. This will protect the chicken from burning and drying out.
- Cover with a lid and roast for 1h.
- After one hour, uncover, pour the created gravy over the chicken parts and put back in the oven, uncovered. Repeat this twice every 15mins. Add more water if needed.
- After 1h 30mins, take the whole dish out of the oven. The chicken parts should be tender, almost falling apart of the bones, and the skin will be crispy on top.
- Move the chicken onto a plate. Carefully pour the gravy with mushrooms, onions and garlic into a sauce pan. Put the chicken parts back in the dish, pour them over with a little bit of the gravy and put it back in the oven (uncovered).
- Make the sauce. On hob, bring the gravy to boil on medium-high heat. Add low fat cream and keep gently stirring with a whisk until you get a nice smooth texture of the sauce. Once it starts to bubble, lower the heat to medium. Add tarragon, taste and season with salt and pepper if needed. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, and then serve poured over the chicken.
- Serve with potatoes, chips, rice or pasta (tagliatelle) and steamed kale salad. Enjoy!
Prep time: 10mins | Cook time: 1h 45 mins || Total cooking time: 1h 55mins