Hi! Happy Friday! How are you all? If you’ve been following me on Instagram, you’ll know that I was away for a while. We recently managed to go on a short break from the city and spent a few days in Bath and The Cotswolds. Then, I FINALLY went home to see my family – it was my first trip after six months of uncertainty, lockdown, travel restrictions and of course, many health and safety concerns.
This weekend, I’ll be leaving for another trip there as my best friend is getting married soon and me and my bf can’t wait to spend the big day with them.
I’m planning to do a write-up on these trips later next month.
In the meantime, I’m here to share with you some more recipes and cooking tips!
Today, it’s another tasty salad idea.
This chicken salad is perfect for lunch or light dinner and whilst you’ll totally appreciate it on hot days, it can also be served as a reminder of summer later in the year.
The recipe is inspired by Caesar salad, but I’ve swapped some ingredients according to what I had in the fridge and so in fact, it’s very versatile – feel free to be flexible with the ingredients too!
I’m using chicken breast fillet, but chicken thighs will work here too.
Lastly, don’t be afraid of the dressing! It’s super easy and made of usual ingredients from the store cupboard (pantry) and the fridge.
Crispy chicken salad
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 1 iceberg lettuce (swap for Romano lettuce or 1/2 cabbage)
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 large cucumber
- 250g cherry tomatoes or 6 salad tomatoes
- 2 chicken breast fillets, chilled
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 5 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
- 80g Grana Padano or Parmesan cheese
- salt, black pepper
- optional: toasted baguette or bread for serving
Dressing: 1 clove garlic, 3 tbsp light mayonnaise, 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard, 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice, 1 tbsp cold water, pinch of black pepper
- Prepare the salad: Wash the lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, peel the carrots if needed. Cut everything into regular bite-sized chunks. The carrot can be sliced or cut thinly. Add all veggies into a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Prepare the chicken: Cut the breast fillet into 1 cm slices (if using thighs, no need to cut anything at this point). Wash your hands. Season with salt and pepper from both sides. Wash your hands again.
- Add the plain flour into a deep bowl. Dip the chicken fillets into the flour from all sides, so they’re fully covered in the flour. This will help to keep the juices of the meat inside, while crispy on the outside.
- Add oil into a large frying pan, turn on medium-high heat. When hot, add the chicken fillets and fry for at least 10-14 mins depending on how thick they are, or until golden on top. Turn halfway through. Wash your hands again after handling raw chicken.
- In the meantime, make the dressing: mix all ingredients together in a small mixing bowl, using a whisk. Whisk until you get smooth and nice texture.
- When the chicken is about to be ready, divide the salad onto 4 different plates.
- Cut the chicken into strips, add to the salad, grate over some Grana Padano cheese, and add the dressing.
- Enjoy as it is or with a slice of toasted baguette or bread!
Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 15 mins || Total time: 25mins