Hi my friends, how are you? There is another heat wave coming, so it’s a perfect time to talk salads.
What food reminds you of summer? Is it barbecue? Or fresh salads? Or perhaps both?
For me, it’s definitely a juicy steak and a generous portion of crunchy salad. Together with delicious tomato chutney, plum sauce and Czech mustard, this is the ultimate summer meal.
It also is the exact thing that my mum and dad would make on several occasions during the summer. He takes care of the meat and the grill, whilst she prepares all the important bits around.
Top class dinner guaranteed!
Oh, how much I miss this! Luckily, it’s not long before my next visit 🙂
On special days like birthdays and family gatherings, we’d prepare fancier salad than usual – Shopska salad, which is always a treat!
Shopska salad comes from Bulgaria, where it’s so popular it has become a national dish. It has got great reputation all over the Balkan area, with a few nations claiming it’s ‘theirs’. And I’m not surprised!
It’s fresh, cold, refreshing, flavoursome and sooo tasty!
Make sure you order some next time you’re in Bulgaria!
But before you take off, you can also try it at home!
This is my version of the salad. It’s beautiful, easy and delicious and it will make the perfect companion to grilled meat and fish.
Also, it’ll be a superstar during any dinner party!
As always, let me know in the comments if you are going to try it!
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 2 peppers
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 onion
- 100g low fat feta or salad cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp white vine vinegar
- handful fresh parsley for serving
- Wash and prepare the vegetables: Cut the tomatoes into halves, then cut each half into three wedges, eventually cut those in half as well (so you get either 1/6 or 1/12). Remove the seeds from the peppers. Cut the peppers in halves and remove the inner membranes. Slice the peppers and then cut the slices in halves or thirds, depending on their size. Cut the cucumber into halves (on the long side), separate those two halves, lay flat and again cut into halves. Then chop it up across, so you get about inch-sized quarters. Place the veggies into a large mixing bowl.
- Peel the onion, chop it finely and add to the bowl. Add oil and vinegar and toss thoroughly.
- Chop, grate or crumble the feta (salad) cheese over the veggies (don’t mix for better aesthetics). Decorate with chopped parsley and serve!
Prep time: 15mins