Hello! I hope you all are safe and sound! Another week of lockdown has started and I’m here with more recipes.
Today, it’s a recipe for an easy meat-free dinner. I’ve actually made it a couple of days ago when there were only a few bits left in the fridge. And as I was pleased with the result, I thought I’d share it with you!
All you need for this meal are red, yellow or orange peppers (basically any color, just not green), ripen tomatoes, onion (eventually garlic) and some hard cheese to grate (opt-in for vegetarian/vegan alternative if needed).
Ingredients such as seasoning and the pasta are supposedly in your store cupboard.
In case you’re already scrolling down to see the total cooking time, please don’t be scared of the timing. Most of the time takes up roasting the peppers (you’ll only need to wait for the oven).
I wouldn’t recommend skipping this step, as roasting does give the peppers really delicious flavour. And you don’t want to miss that on your plate!
Overall, it’s not a difficult recipe, just follow the method closely so you time everything well.
Ingredients for 2 servings
- 3 peppers (red, yellow or orange color)
- 5 salad tomatoes
- 1 medium onion
- Optional: 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2tsp dried basil
- 1/2tsp dried oregano
- 170g dried pasta of your choice
- 5tbsp olive oil
- 50g parmesan, cheddar or other hard cheese
- Salt, pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan.
- Boil a kettle of water.
- Wash the peppers and tomatoes.
- Remove seeds from the peppers and cut them into inch wide chunks. Put in a mixing bowl, add 2 tbsp olive oil and toss. Place the peppers on a baking tray with greaseproof paper, turn them skin up and put in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Using a kitchen knife, cut a cross onto the skin on top of each tomato, put them in a sauce pan and pour over the boiling water, making sure they are fully covered. Leave for 5 minutes.
- Peel and finely chop the onion, eventually prepare the garlic too.
- Carefully drain the tomatoes and peel them. Take care as they will be hot. Chop them a little bit and set aside.
- When the peppers are roasted, carefully take them out of the oven. Place them on a plate and remove the skins using a butter knife. Again, be careful, they will be hot. They will be soft as well. Chop them roughly and set aside.
- Using a large stock pot, fill it up with water, add salt and bring to boil. Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet and drain.
- Now, it’s time to make the sauce! Using a large frying pan, add the remaining olive oil, set on medium-high heat. When the oil is hot enough, add the onion (and garlic). Fry until soft, lower the heat to medium to make sure you don’t burn it.
- When the onion is soft and glossy, add the chopped peppers and tomatoes and turn up the heat to medium-high again. Add the basil and oregano, and season with salt and pepper. Toss everything in the pan and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Serve with the pasta and grated cheese on top. Enjoy!
Prep time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 40 mins || Total cooking time: 55 mins