Hi! Today, I’m here with another super easy recipe. This vegetable soup is ideal for when you want something warm to eat, or when you want to have something healthy and quick.
Since we work from home, I’ve started cooking soups regularly. It is a pleasant change – and how handy it is. I cook once and then have enough for the next couple of days!
Again, it is a meal that my mum would make on the weekends, usually from fresh veggies from her garden.
But supermarket veg and/or frozen one will work here too! Feel free to use any veg that is available. Hearty swede, celeriac or leek are also good additions.
The soup doesn’t require much cooking, just follow the method, so your veggies are not overcooked. If adding/using other ingredients, bare in mind that certain veg may need different cooking time and adjust the steps to it (what cooks the longest goes in first).
Now, check your fridge and larder and let’s get cooking!
Super easy spring vegetable soup
Ingredients for 8 servings
- 2 large carrots
- 3 potatoes
- 1 pepper
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 2l vegetable stock
- knob of unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- Salt, black pepper
- 1 tsp chopped fresh or dried parsley
- Prepare your vegetables – wash, peel and cut all veggies (apart from the pea) into small pieces (dices). The potatoes can be slightly bigger than the rest of the veggies, as they cook much quicker.
- Get your stock ready and bring it to boil, keep on medium-high heat afterwards.
- At first, add the carrots, toss and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the knob of butter and leave to melt.
- Add the pepper and frozen peas, cook for another 5 minutes and then add the potatoes.
- Fill a regular-sized cup with 1/3 water, add the flour and mix it with fork until you get a smooth, dough-like texture. This will be used as a soup thickener.
- Make sure the soup is boiling (bubbling). Bring it to higher heat if needed. Pour in the flour mixture whilst stirring until it’s fully absorbed in the soup.
- The soup should get thicker in about a minute or so. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and decorate with fresh or dried parsley. Enjoy!
Prep time: 5 mins | Cooking time: 20 mins || Total cooking time: 25 mins
The butter is used to give the soup nicer flavour. If you’re vegan, add a knob of plant-based margarine.
To create a gluten-free soup, use cornflour instead of regular plain flour.