Hello! This is another fairly easy, but effective recipe. It comes from my family and represents what we would usually have for Sunday roast, and often also for our family celebrations and parties organised at home. Again, because it is simple and satisfactory at the same time!
The way this chicken is roasted creates a crispy skin on top and keeps all of the juices inside, whilst it’s literally falling of the bone.
And the fact that it can be served with almost any side dish is just another reason to love it, isn’t it?
Personally, I prefer to roast chicken legs rather than a whole chicken. It’s easier for manipulation during cooking and for serving, but feel free to apply this recipe on cooking of the whole bird.
List of ingredients for Czech-style roast chicken (4 servings)
- 1,2kg chicken quarter legs, or chicken tights, skin on (chilled)
- 3 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp caraway seeds, ground
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch of black pepper
- Boil about 500ml of water in a kettle. Preheat the oven to 190C/fan 170C.
- Get your spice mix ready in a bowl. This is to prevent any contact with the chicken and other surface that you touch with your hands when seasoning it.
- Prepare the chicken: It must be chilled (and fully defrosted before cooking). Clean the skin by removing any remaining feathers.
- Place the chicken legs in a deep ovenproof dish (preferably with a lid, or use aluminium foil as a cover later), upside down. Rub some of the seasoning into the bottom parts. Turn the chicken legs around and rub the spices onto the skin, so it’s fully coated with the paprika and caraway seed mix.
- Wash your hands and then pour some of the boiling water between the portions of the chicken, about 0,7 cm high.
- Cover with a lid and put in the oven. Set your timer for 90mins.
- After 90mins, take the whole dish out. Take the lid off and pour some of the juices over the chicken, using a big serving spoon (ovenproof). When all pieces are covered, put it back in the oven, uncovered.
- Repeat the last step about 2-3 times every 15mins.
This roast chicken goes well with boiled potatoes, potato mash, rice, pasta salad, potato salad, or other vegetable salad.
The remianing juices can be used as a base for gravy. Transfer all of the juices into a sauce pan and thicken it with a little bit of flour shaken with a bit of water. Boil for 5mins and then serve.
Also, you can add some single cream and 1 tsp paprika for and make a delicious cream sauce.
Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 2 hrs || Total cooking time: 2 hrs 10 mins