Good morning all! Today is Mother’s Day is here in the UK. What are your plans? Cafes and restaurants are now closed, so some of us will celebrate it behind close doors, or will postpone any activities for a better time.
Here is probably my most popular cake recipe. Me and my mum use it anytime we want to make a sponge cake. It is super easy and requires only the basic ingredients, which usually are in every kitchen cupboard – ideal for last minute baking!
For a full tray (30x40cm) you’ll need:
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup caster (or other) sugar
- 1/4 cup warm milk
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup sunflower (or vegetable) oil
- 2 tsp vanilla flavouring
- 300g fruit of your choice (any berries or canned fruit /drained/ work well here!)
- Preheat the oven to 175C.
- Break the eggs into a large mixing bowl, add the sugar and whisk until smooth.
- Add the milk, and slowly add the flour, while mixing thoroughly.
- Add the oil and mix it with the dough until smooth and completely absorbed.
- Prepare the baking tray by putting down a sheet of baking paper.
- Pour the dough on the baking paper and push it towards the corners, so it’s spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the fruit on top, as evenly as possible, so it is in one layer.
- Put in the oven and bake for 30-40 mins or until golden from top and fully baked (test it with a skewer).
Tip: If you’re short of eggs, use only 2, but add 1/3 cup milk (instead of 1/4 cup) and slightly more than 1/2 cup oil. I’ve tested this recently and it works perfectly!
Take care and happy Mother’s Day! M x